- Study level:Beginner - Intermediate
- Starts on:Tuesday - October 17, 2017
- Duration:6 Weeks
Audio 101 – Intro Seminar
Chuck Kawal Beginner - Intermediate
The Audio 101 Intro Seminar course should serve as a foundational overview of the fundamental audio concepts and equipment common to all forms of music production and creation. To get the most out of the production environment or specific DAW system, all users should have a firm grasp of the principles of sound and sound behavior during recording and mixing, common audio terms, and an understanding of the key components (pieces of equipment) found in all studios.
7pm – 10pm
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Tuesday, October 24, 2017
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Tuesday, November 21, 2017
Tuesday, November 28, 2017
- Understanding fundamental audio terms (frequency, amplitude, phase, wavelength etc.)
- Acoustic properties of well-designed recording/mixing environments to ensure accurate capture of sound and monitoring so final results will translate to any listening environment (absorption, diffusion, standing waves, L.E.D.E. control rooms).
- How to inexpensively optimize your listening environment.
- General signal flow and pieces of equipment from source to listener.
- Digital audio theory and how it relates to setting up and using your DAW (bit depth, sample rate, quantization, Nyquist Theorum).
- Microphone operating principles, microphone placement techniques on a variety of sources, microphone type comparisons, stereo mic techniques.
- Equalization overview (how and when to use equalization creatively and effectively, understanding equalization parameters, types of eq).
- Compression overview (how and when to use compression creatively and effectively, understanding compression parameters, types of compressors).
- Introduction to other types of common processors and their parameters (reverb, delay, modulation effects, harmonizers etc.)
- Introduction to developing critical listening skills.
Recommended Gear: Laptop or Desktop computer, DAW of choice